Looking for a perfect solution for wooden floor cracking? Wood fillers are here to assist you in the process. These units are specially designed for filling the cracks and holes in hardwood surfaces and offer maximum coverage and exceptional adhesion. Furthermore, most of these materials are incorporated with wood-fibers that generate a real wood-like illusion.
Another prominent aspect of wood fillers is the shrink and crack resistance that makes them perfect for sanding and staining. Thus, this article offers you the 15 best wood fillers for hardwood floors, 2023 based on their weather resistance, repairing, shrink resistance, adhesion abilities, and cost-efficiency.
Wood Filler For Hardwood Floors
1. DAP 00585 Latex Plastic Wood Filler
DAP 00585 Latex Plastic Wood Filler is a remarkable product available at an extremely reasonable price across the market. The wood filler is highly efficient and does not disappoint you in terms of performance. In addition to this, this solvent-based material is capable of providing 3x stronger repair by hardening on the surface of the white pine wood.
The prominent attribute of the substance is the integration of various wood fibers that generate a real wood illusion. Thereby making it impossible to detect the presence of the filler on wooden furniture and hence, improving its overall outlook. Furthermore, the object is versatile in nature and can be sanded, drilled, stained, painted, varnished without incurring any damage.
The item is also useful for providing perfect support and anchoring nails without splitting or tearing apart. The cost-efficiency is another impressive aspect of the unit and makes it affordable for the majority of the consumers. Lastly, the DAP wood filler is crack resistant and is ideal for a diverse range of wood species.
- 3x stronger repair
- Integration of wood fibers
- Difficult to apply
DAP 00585 Latex Plastic Wood Filler features real wood fibers and offers three times stronger repair than ordinary woof fillers. Moreover, the substance is crack and shrink resistant and ideal for anchoring nails and screws. Therefore, it is highly recommended for white pine wood.
2. Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler
Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler is second to none in terms of performance and efficiency. Elmer’s is renowned for its high-quality production and maximum performance output. This wood filler manufactured under the trademark is perfect for indoor usage and can be used to fill the holes and cracks in your wooden furniture.
The item is compatible with hardwoods and thus, can be applied to hardwood floors without any inconvenience. Therefore, it serves as one of the best wood fillers for hardwood floors in 2023. Similarly, the shrink and crack resistant nature of the material enhances its overall abilities and makes it stand out among the rest of its counterparts on the list. The filler is completely safe to be painted and sanded.
Having the estimated drying time between 12 to 14 hours, the model offers time efficiency. Along with the above-mentioned characteristics, another significant property of the unit is the effortless water-based cleanup which allows you to easily clean the material without worrying about damaging it. Hence, offering trouble-free maintenance.
- Hassle-free maintenance
- Water-based cleanup
- Compatible with hardwood floors
- Crack and shrink resistant
- Sandable and paintable
- Dry and hard
Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler is a budget-friendly tool with outstanding attributes. The substance is sandable and offers crack-resistant coverage. Furthermore, it is compatible with hardwood floors and can be applied easily without any inconvenience. Last but not least, the filler can be cleaned without much difficulty and offers effortless maintenance.
3. Water-Based Wood & Grain Filler
Water-Based Wood & Grain Filler offers unrivaled efficiency and is highly recommended for daily use. The material has exceptional wood adhesion properties and is shrink and crack-resistant similar to its predecessors. In addition to this, the product is compatible with a diverse range of other pigments and tints.
Therefore, can be effortlessly mixed together for an incredible performance. As the name indicates, the unit is water-based and offers a hassle-free process, and thus is perfect for daily use. The item is versatile in nature and can be used as a grain filler, primer, knot filler, etc. Since it is compatible with hardwood, it can be used on floors and furniture where it offers impressive performance ratings.
Moreover, the substance is sandable and paintable. However, the highlight of the material is the reconstitutable nature, where it can be reused when mixed with water after drying out. Thereby contributing to zero waste and environment friendliness. Hence, it is ideal for wooden furniture, floors, and doors.
- Excellent wood adhesion abilities
- Water-based nature
- Hassle-free use
- Reconstitute and zero waste
- Difficult maintenance
Water-Based Wood & Grain Filler possesses incredible wood adhesion abilities and is water-based in nature. Hence, offers effortless application. Moreover, the filler can be reconstituted when dried and contributes to zero waste. Hence, owing to its environmentally friendly nature. Lastly, the tool is versatile and can be utilized as a primer, and grain filler.
4. FamoWood Latex Wood Filler
FamoWood Latex Wood Filler is a solvent-free wood filler that offers exceptional performance output and is admired by the majority of consumers. Similar to its previously mentioned counterparts, this item can be easily sanded and painted whenever required. The water-based product is environmentally friendly and is not associated with any harm to the surroundings.
Along with this, the filler can be stained and painted without any difficulty and appears like real wood. Hence, making it hard to differentiate between the two and enhancing its performance to a great extent. The ability to completely fill holes and cracks rapidly is attributed to the soft and thick covering of the material which takes only 15 minutes to dry.
Similarly, the material is suitable for indoor as well as outdoor use and is not vulnerable to damage due to external factors. There is no noticeable cracking and shrinking observed in the filler after use and is evidence of its crack-resistant properties. The model does not contain any toxic fumes and is not harmful to human health.
- Shrink and crack resistant
- Non-toxic and environment friendly
- Thick coverage
- Relatively expensive
FamoWood Latex Wood Filler is a time-efficient tool that requires only 15 minutes to dry. Additionally, it is non-toxic in nature and does not cause any harm to its surroundings. The object offers effortless applications and features thick coverage that is admired by the majority of users. Moreover, it is crack-free and can be painted and sanded whenever required.
5. Minwax Stainable Wood Filler
Minwax Stainable Wood Filler is yet another remarkable product included in the list of best wood fillers for hardwood floors, 2023. The item is perfect for nail holes, cracks, knots, and other holes in the furniture and hardwood floors. The most significant attribute of this substance is the ability to penetrate into cracks and offer maximum coverage.
Thereby leaving no chance of error. In addition to this, the Minwax wood filler can be used with both oil and water-based wood stains and is extremely versatile in its function. It is also sandable, paintable and can be used as an alternative to various most expensive units available around the market.
Similarly. it can be used in both indoor and outdoor environments and is not prone to damage due to external factors. This is attributed to its high-quality construction which makes it stand out among its rivals and adds five stars to its performance. Furthermore, the paint is capable of drying rapidly and does not consume a lot of your time. Hence, contributing to time efficiency in the long term.
- Maximum coverage
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Easy to clean
- Durable and versatile
- Difficult to stain
Minwax Stainable Wood Filler offers maximum coverage and possesses the ability to penetrate into stubborn wood cracks and holes. Since the filler is water-based it can be cleaned without exerting much effort. Hence, making it efficient for both indoor and outdoor use. Similarly, it is durable and less vulnerable to damage due to external factors.
6. Timbermate Hardwood Wood Filler
Timbermate Hardwood Wood Filler is another top-notch item on the list. This water-based filler is capable of drying quickly and performs extraordinarily well. One of the most admired features about this object is the beautiful stainable nature, which allows it to get stained rapidly and adhere to the wooden surface.
Apart from this, due to its solvent-based nature, it can be cleaned easily and does not become a hassle for the users. The trouble-free application and maintenance are the highlight of the system and enhance its properties to a great extent. Similarly, the filler is not prone to shrinking and cracking and fills up the holes on your furniture and hardwood floor efficiently.
However, one differential feature in this item is the ability to be wiped off before it is completely applied on the wooden surface. This means that the filler does not become permanent before the application is completed and can be wiped off if something goes wrong. Thus, making it better than other products on the list in this aspect.
- Trouble-free usage
- Effortless removal
- Perfect staining abilities
- Resistant against shrinking
- Excellent adhesion
- Relatively Expensive
Timbermate Hardwood Wood Filler is a water-based item with quick-drying abilities. The material adheres strongly to the wooden surface and stains beautifully. Furthermore, it is resistant to shrinking and cracking and is perfect for daily use. Finally, the tool displays hassle-free maintenance and can be wiped out rapidly to avoid an error.
7. Elmer’s E892 Stainable Wood Filler
Elmer’s E892 Stainable Wood Filler is yet another extraordinary unit produced under Elmer’s trademark. Similar to its predecessors, this model is also integrated with real wood fibers that enhance its staining and sanding characteristics. The presence of wood fibers also gives it a real-wood-like appearance and makes it harder to differentiate.
Thus, improving its overall outlook and performance. Furthermore, the item is capable of holding and anchoring the screws and nails together and preventing them from falling apart. Another prominent aspect of the product is the solvent-free nature, which makes maintenance an effortless task and allows you to clean it efficiently without exerting much effort.
The crack and shrink-resistant properties enable you to fill up holes and cracks in the hardwood floors and furniture. This wood filler stains beautifully and leaves no room for error in the long term. Lastly, it is cost-effective and available at an extremely reasonable price range. Hence, it can be afforded by the majority of the consumers.
- Inclusion of wood-fibers
- Resistant to shrinking and cracking
- Perfectly anchors nails and screws
- Paintable and stainable
Elmer’s E892 Stainable Wood Filler is a perfect model for hardwood floors and furniture. It offers maximum coverage and is incorporated with real wood fibers. Thus, fills up cracks and holes properly and acts as an outstanding primer. Furthermore, the ability to prevent shrinking and cracking makes it easier to paint, sand, and stain the filler.
8. PC Products Wood Repair Epoxy Paste
PC Products Wood Repair Epoxy Paste is a versatile and multi-functional tool that is best among its previously-mentioned counterparts. It is ideal for indoor and outdoor applications and is not prone to damage due to environmental factors. In addition to this, the equipment is resistant to Ultraviolet light, dry rot, saltwater, freshwater, and mildew, etc.
It mixes appropriately between the temperature range of 35 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit and performs exceptionally well. The unit is divided into two parts A and B which must be mixed in equal proportions for an incredible performance. Inappropriate ratios might impact the performance and adhesion abilities of the wood filler.
Moreover, the manufacturer claims the application without any drip or sag and does not create any hassle for the user. It bonds perfectly with hardwood floors and furniture and properly fills up cracks and holes in doors and floors. Similarly, required adjustments can be carried out within 30 to 40 minutes of application for unrivaled performance.
- Resistant against Ultraviolet light
- Drip and sag-free
- Incredible adhesion
- Perfect for hardwood floors
PC Products Wood Repair Epoxy Paste is the last object on the list of best wood fillers for hardwood floors, 2023. The tool is performance-oriented and is resistant to various environmental factors such as mild dew, saltwater, and UV light. Furthermore, its high wet grab is associated with negligible dripping and sagging and adds additional stars to its performance.
Factors that Must Be Considered While Purchasing the Best Wood Filler for Hardwood Floors, 2023
Purpose of the Wood Filler
First and foremost, it is important to identify the purpose of the wood filler you are going to purchase. Several questions like Where the filler will be applied? Is it durable and resistant to external damage? should be carefully addressed before setting out to purchase the specified object for yourself. For indoor application, it is recommended to use water-based wood fillers as they are easy to maintain and look after.
In contrast to this, as outdoors are more prone to damage due to environmental factors, it is advised to look for latex-based fillers that can last for a long time. Furthermore, such materials are resistant to extreme weather conditions and do not get damaged easily. Similarly, you should also search for water-resistant tools as well to enhance the overall properties of the material. Apart from the identification of the location of the application, you should also consider the potential usage of the substance.
Whether you are using it to fill up cracks or anchor nails. There are specific filling purposes of different fillers. For example, some are suitable for filling fine grain-like pores while others are specifically designed for huge cracks and holes in your flooring surface and wooden doors. After carefully analyzing all the above-mentioned aspects, you should buy a tool that fits your requirements and does not create a hassle for you.
Stainable and Paintable
The second aspect that should be taken into account in this regard is the ability of the wood filler to retain the stain and paint after it has been applied on the wooden surface. Similarly, it should be sandable as well as sanding is extremely important for polishing the wood. All these can be carried out if the filler is resistant to shrinking and cracking.
As most units available in the market are embedded with shrink-resistance, they can be easily sanded and painted after it has been applied to the required area. Due to the superior attributes of most items, it is also difficult to notice the filler after it has been painted. However, there are other materials as well that might not perform up to the mark and should be monitored well before purchasing to prevent future mishaps.
The majority of the wood fillers available in the market are either white or wooden brown in color. However, you might want to paint it according to your furniture if it possesses a different color. Mostly, it is advised to use white color for a better outcome. For this purpose, it is preferable to choose wood filling kits instead of purchasing a single-colored tube.
The kits are often equipped with various colors that might work well for you. In addition to this, you can also mix various colors together to create a new one that might fit well with the tone of your furniture. Wood filling kits are not only versatile but also budget-friendly and can be afforded easily by masses.
The durability of the substance is of utmost significance. As mentioned earlier, most outdoor paints are prone to damage due to extreme weather and other environmental factors. Thus, it is important to search for a filler that is weather and water-resistant and can stay for a longer period of time than its other competitors. Mostly latex-based plastic fillers are recommended in this regard and do not disappoint the consumers in terms of efficiency and adhesion.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best wood filler for hardwood floors?
Minwax High-Performance Wood Filler is one of the best models available in the market due to its maximum coverage, crack-resistant, suitability for indoor as well as outdoor usage, and cost-efficiency. This is followed by Timbermate Hardwood Wood filler that possesses perfect staining properties, excellent adhesion, and offers trouble-free usage.
What do I use to fill gaps in hardwood flooring?
If you notice cracks or holes in your hardwood floor, it is advised to fill them up using a wood putty/filler. The material offers user-friendliness and can be applied without any difficulty. Use the putty to fill the gap and then for uniform filling rub it gently in circular motions. Afterward, remove the excess and sand it. Paint the filler and you are done.
Can you use wood fillers on hardwood floors?
Indeed you can apply wood fillers on hardwood floors. There are a wide variety of wood fillers that are specially designed for the purpose and offer unrivaled performance ratings. Notable examples of such fillers include Timbermate wood filler which is suitable for all wood types and is ideal for filling large holes and cracks on wooden surfaces.
Wood fillers are an ideal solution for your deteriorating hardwood flooring. Most of these materials are incorporated with real wooden fibers to generate high-quality outcomes. Moreover, they possess good adhesion abilities and retain well on various floors and furniture. Based on a careful analysis of the above-mentioned wood fillers, the following three are the best among others.
PC Products Wood Repair Epoxy Paste for its resistance against a diverse range of environmental factors, incredible adhesion, and dip and sag-free performance.
Timbermate Hardwood Wood Filler because of its trouble-free use, perfect staining, effortless removal, resistance against shrinking, and remarkable adhesion.
DAP 00585 Latex Plastic Wood Filler due to its three times stronger repairing ability, crack resistance, the inclusion of wood fibers, versatility, and budget-friendliness.
Thus, they are highly recommended for those looking for the best wood fillers for hardwood floors, 2023.
Check out some others picks:
- ✓DESCRIPTION -The Rampro wood pens for scratches and paper wrapped wax crayon sticks are the perfect repair set for furniture. Use our 8 color options wood repair markers to pick the...
- ✓QUALITY – Our furniture repair kit matches to most type of wood finishes. The wax filled crayons are for hardwood floor scratch repair. The set comes with a sharpener to keep the...
- ✓SPECS - The 8 furniture pens for scratches come with large tips to get the perfect shade to match the wood. It also comes with 8 crayon wood stain pen and a sharpener. The 8 colors...
- ✓DESIGN – The wood touch up markers and wax crayons have chiseled tips to get smaller spots. The wood scratch repair markers cover can be attached to the back, so it won’t get...
- ✓USES – This wood floor repair kit is suitable for flooring, furniture, moldings, and other wooden items. It instantly covers blemishes, chips, and nicks on scratched wood and wood...
- Super easy filler for chip, crack, hole fill, screw or knot cover, scratch remover, blemish touch up
- Excellent fix for best finish in any colored desk, shelf, molding, laminate, edging, baseboard, deck
- Repair compound, no glue, pen, markers, wax, paint, crayon set needed
- Superior results on any material including painted or natural, dark, light, mahogany, maple, oak.
- 100% satisfaction and manufacturer guarantee; 30-day money back and 1 year free replacement warranty
- You can repairfurniture by yourself, do not need ask experience profesional to retouch your scratched furniture etc.
- Restores scratches, nicks, scuffs and discoloration on wood, wood-veneer, desk furniture, wood floors, trim, cabinets, tables, beds ,frames , doors and many more.
- Squeeze repair compound into the scratch, crack and then smooth the filler with tail scraper. Or you can mix the color and pick up the compound by brush, then touch up the blemish by...
- Color：White, Ivory, White Oak, Yellow maple, Oak, Beech, Yellow, Bamboo yellow, Yellowish brown, Cherry, Red Oak, Dalbergia,Teak, Black Walnut, Black, Red, Green, Blue.
- Mix with water to desired consistency
- Makes up to 1.7 gallons
- Will not Freeze in powder form
- EASY TO USE- No drips and no mess! No heat or special tools required.
- DO IT YOURSELF- These semi-hard putty sticks give you the flexibility to fill in nicks, scratches, or open corner joints on furniture, trim, door jams, cabinet doors and chair legs...
- VERY VERSATILE- Use it for a variety of repairs including nail or screw holes, nicks, scratches, cracks, etc. - virtually any indoor wooden surface in low traffic areas!
- TRUSTED BRAND- Trusted since 1948, Mohawk Finishing Products is the leading manufacturer and distributor of professional wood and leather touch-up repair and finishing products.
- J-B WELD KWIKWOOD: A hand mixable two part epoxy putty stick that is formulated to repair and rebuild wood. J-B Weld KwikWood is designed for all wood household DIY repairs!
- CURE AND SET TIME: After kneading the two part formula together by hand, KwikWood takes 15-25 minutes to set and cures in 1 hour. J-B Weld KwikWood set and cure color is a light tan.
- PRODUCT FEATURES AND STRENGTH: J-B Weld KwikWood has lap shear strength of 900 PSI. KwikWood will not shrink or rot and can be stained, molded, tapped, drilled, sanded and shaped.
- APPLICATIONS: Window/Door Hinge Repairs, Dry Rot Repairs, Gouges and cracks in furniture, knot hole repairs, gap fillers and more!
- DO IT YOURSELF: Big or small, you can DIY it with J-B Weld. Our heavy duty epoxy and adhesives repair & restore it right the first time. J-B Weld delivers superior performance, quality,...
- Will not shrink or pull away.
- Cured hardness and density are similar to that of wood.
- Putty-like consistency eliminates drips and runs for a "no mess" application.
- No tools required for use.
- One hour after application can be drilled, sawed, sanded, filed, tapped, machined and painted.