As you already know, installing a garage door is an investment, which is why you might be wondering – how frequently should it be serviced? Well, a lot of individuals will tell you that they’ll only service it when something is not working properly or when it totally breaks down, however, this is not entirely true.
If you are thinking about whether or not you should service your garage doors, this article might be able to help you. The text below is going to feature why you should service your garage doors at least twice a year, as well as what you’ll need to check when you service it. Let’s take a closer look:
First Things First – When Should You Service it?
If you want to be completely sure that your garage door will work entirely and properly, you might want to service it at least twice a year. When should you do it? Well, even if you do not want to check it twice a year, you should at least ensure that you get it serviced during autumn in order to prepare it for the colder temperatures, ice, and snow. Additionally, to be completely sure that it’ll work well, you should check it during spring as well since the weather will be warmer.
What Should You Check When Inspecting The Door?
There is a wide range of things that you’ll need to check when inspecting your door. In order to ensure that they’ll work properly the entire year, you’ll need to check the following things:
1. All The Hinges And Rollers
The very first thing that you’ll want to check is if the hinges and rollers are in good condition, which means that you should ensure that all the bolts and nuts are secured. Why? Well, these parts are most commonly prone to breaking, cracking, as well as splitting. In fact, you can even repair these parts, without needing to call an expert to help you. Keep in mind that you can easily find these parts online, as well as in any hardware store in your hometown.
2. Balancing is The Key
According to the experts from CanadianGarageDoorRepair, you’ll want to check whether or not your door is balanced properly and you’ll also want to ensure that the spring tension is good. If it moves either up or down, you should know that they might need some adjustments. These springs often break during the cold weather, which is one of the reasons that you should check your door during autumn and winter. You should know that you’ll need to replace them if they are more than a decade old.
3. Do Not Forget to Lubricate The Moving Parts
You might want to lubricate all the components that are made from metal with a lubricant that is not based on silicone. If you want to ensure that you use the best lubricant, you might want to try WD-40, however, you should definitely avoid lubricants that could gum up easily. You should lubricate all metallic parts, especially if the weather is getting colder.
4. Check The Weatherseal And The Bottom One As Well
If needed, you might need to replace all the perimeter seals. If your door is made from vinyl, you should check the weather seal and the bottom seal in order to see whether there are any wear and tear. Ensure that there are no gaps where it is possible for snow and air to enter your garage. Hence, you should inspect it during the night in order to see if there is any light shining through any of the cracks. The bottom seal is extremely important since it is prone to wear from pests and moisture.
5. Gears And Rails
You might want to check and open up the motor, as well as apply grease to the nylon components if needed. Additionally, you should focus on the drive gear the most. During the winter, stripped gears most commonly break, hence, ensure that you get an expert that will ensure that everything is working properly.
What to Consider When Choosing a Company?
If you do not want to do the annual maintenance by yourself or if you do not know how to do it, it might be best if you opt for hiring a professional company that will guarantee that your garage door works well. The things you should consider when choosing a company are:
- The Price – the very first thing you should do is to check the price range, as well as to determine what your budget is. By comparing the prices, you’ll ensure that you get the best possible price for the services you’ll receive. Keep in mind that the prices should not be too high or too low, instead, they should be something in the middle.
- The Reviews – next, you’ll want to check the reviews on the official websites, but on independent ones as well. By doing so, you’ll see whether or not previous customers had a good experience, which means that you’ll not whether or not a company is worth hiring and if they’ll do a good job on your garage door.
- The Experience – hiring a company or an individual that does not have the needed experience can actually lead to additional expenses and repairs. What does this mean for you? Well, it means that you might want to look for a company that has been in the business for quite some time, instead of one that has been working for only a few months or years.
As you were able to learn, there is a wide range of things that you’ll need to do in order to determine whether or not your garage door needs to be serviced. But, by doing so, you’ll ensure that it does not break down, which means that you’ll be able to save a lot of money, instead of paying for the costly repairs.
So, now that you know what you’ll need to check, you might not want to lose any more of your time. Instead, you should go back to the beginning of the article and write down what you’ll need to check in order to ensure that your garage door will work properly, efficiently, and during the entire year.