Solar energy use is on the rise. As of 2019, over two million solar panels had been installed in the United States. Community solar projects, also called solar farms or solar gardens, are removing the barriers and making solar energy a real option for more people every year. It’s changing the game of how we create, use, and pay for energy, and it might also be able to change your life. Here’s how you can change your game by switching to solar energy:
1. It Can Save You Money
Saving money is one of the biggest reasons people are switching to solar energy for their electricity, so here are a few key facts.
- Once a community solar project has been built, it only requires a small group of people to keep it going. You will pay for your actual electric usage. Hidden fees is not included.
- Customers can purchase energy from a community solar project at a flat rate. This means that the price of your solar electricity does not increase seasonally or at certain times of day as any traditional electricity does.
- It varies depending on where you live, but on average, customers can save up to 15% on their monthly electric bills.
- Solar power doesn’t require any sort of maintenance hence, it results in a further decrease in the amount of capital that goes into its successful running.
- There is a very high upfront cost of buying a solar system. This involves paying for the installation of solar panels, inverters, batteries, wiring. Nonetheless, there is a continuous evolution of solar technology, so it is fair to say that costs will decline in the future.
2. It’s Saving the Planet
If you’re a committed individual fighting climate change, reducing harmful gas emissions, or having a positive impact on the environment, solar is what you’re looking for
- Solar power is clean energy that doesn’t require additional fuel and doesn’t require the burning of harmful fossil fuels or fuels which would result in the release of harmful gases.
- A solar panel can generate absolutely free and renewable energy for over 30 years as the only thing that is needed to run it is sun rays which can never exhaust.
- Solar energy is a great way to replace fossil fuels and it also leads to better air quality. Solar power is solely dependent on the usage of sun rays which prevents burning any kind of fuels that would rupture the balance of ecosystems.
3. It Lets You Decide
There are two main and basic ways to access solar energy, solar farms and residential solar. Here are a few factors to help you decide which one is the right one for you.
- Residential solar allows you to install aesthetically pleasing solar panels on your roof and reap the benefits of tax rebates. You’ll also be producing electricity directly, and if you make more than you use you can send the excess back to the grid. This is called net metering, and it’ll get you a renewable energy tax credit.
- Community solar doesn’t involve any home installations, which means no upfront costs for you if you join an existing community. Because nothing needs to be added to your home, this is the best option for those who are renting. You’ll still be able to earn tax credits through virtual net metering.
4. It’s Easier to Sign Up
Signing up for your local solar community can be easily done- as well as virtually. There aren’t any appointments, phone calls, or installations needed. All you have to do is to visit Choosesolar and learn more about how to easily sign up.
5. It’s Helping Farmers
- With advancements like that of carbon-smart farming, farmers can use solar as a steady way to not only make money from their land during bad seasons but to also fight climate change at the same time. This is also what we call the “industrial farming.”
- Solar power gives the land an opportunity to recover from any sort of damage or over planting so that it can be again used for growing food in the coming future.
6. Its Good for The Workforce
As of 2018, the U.S. had over 200,000 people working in the solar field. If you’re looking into a new career, it could be for you.
- The median wage for mid-level solar installers is $32/hour for electricians and $28/hour for non-electricians
- If you’re willing to pursue some training in solar tech, it’s possible to move into a well-paying career in as little as a year.
- Entry-level installers are typically promoted within 6 months to a year, with an average pay increase of 45%
7. It’s Committed To Veterans
- As of 2018, the solar industry employed over 19,000 veterans, about 7.8% of all solar workers in the country.
- The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), works with veterans to translate their skills learned in the military into the solar field. They’ve repeatedly announced their mission to promote veteran hiring in the field.
8. It is easy to install
- Solar power doesn’t require any kind of specific landscape or network to be installed unlike other alternate sources of power
- It can be installed at distant rural areas and solve the problem of rural power fluctuations and cottage industries can flourish hence generating revenue for people of the villages.
9. It creates employment opportunities
Much of the money that comes in from the solar powers, comes from their panel installation. Many of the locals are able to get jobs for themselves by installing the panels for solar power.
Evidently, solar power is the real game-changer not only for citizens of the urban race but also for the farmers and the people of the villages as they take a step towards modernization together. Not only that, it changes the game for the environment also as it guards it off from the harmful after-effects of excessive fossil burning.
As you can see, there are many ways that solar energy is changing our way of life in all facets. From saving the planet to its commitment to veterans, and everything else in between, you can’t ever go wrong with incorporating solar power into your life.